A DESTINATION WEDDING is defined as marrying at least 100 miles (160 KM) from where the bride currently lives.
- DW cost more than hometown weddings! Not true: Destination weddings often cost less because of smaller guest lists, packages, favorable exchange rates and much more;
- DW are only for second marriages! Not true: While the concept of marrying away may have originally been most popular among couples planning encore weddings, couples saying I do for the first time have now embraced the trend in a major way;
- DW are usually elopements! Not true: The average guest list for a destination weddings has 40 people. Sure, a destination wedding could be just the two of you stealing away to a secret spot, but in most cases, couples invite their nearest and dearest to share in the party;
- DW are always on the beach! Not true: Destination weddings can take place in any setting imaginable;
- The wedding couple is obligated to pay for all their guests’ travel expenses! Not true: Etiquette holds that guests are responsible for their own travel costs;
- You have to honeymoon in your wedding destination! Not true: Many couples choose to honeymoon in a completely different spot from their ceremony;
- DW are only for a small number of couples (celebrities)! Not true: Nearly a quarter of all engaged american couples are marrying away;
- Guests will be against the idea of a destination wedding and refuse to come! Not true: Most destination couples are surprised by the high turnout. In most cases, friends and family will be thrilled to make a mini vacay out of your wedding.
WHY CHOOSING A DESTINATION WEDDING?
- IT’S A GREAT EXCUSE TO LIMIT THE GUEST LIST: The very nature of DW gives you the perfect excuse to cut down on an often unmanageable number of invitees;
- GUESTS CAN SAVE ON A VACATION: Ask your host hotel about discounted room rates for your guests; most resorts are more than willing to bargain in exchange for group business.
- YOU WILL SHARE A LOCALE YOU LOVE: Part of the joy of a DW is showing off a place that has special meaning to you
- FLEXIBLE TIMING HELPS WITH BUDGETING: You’ll be at your destination for a few days, so work with your VENDORS to see how timing can trim costs.
- YOU CAN START THE HONEYMOON EARLY: Just arriving at your destination is sure to put you in a relaxed mood as the prewedding festivities begin.